I was not a huge butternut squash soup, I made it before but just was not a fan. So either my tastes have changed over the years or I just made it better this time. I don’t know for sure but this is really good!
I was schedule for oral surgery and knew I would need soup for the first few days so what better than a hearty, fall and creamy soup to fill my tummy and comfort my soul.
I bought squash that was already peeled and chopped, the container was 32 oz and I used every bit it. I also chopped and peeled one large apple and 1 large carrot. I spread all of the chunks over a parchment paper lined baking sheet, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with salt, pepper, a little cinnamon and nutmeg. I gave it a little toss and then baked for about 30 minutes at 375 degrees. Keep a close eye and toss often.
When the squash was just about ready to come out of the oven, I sautéed a little onion in olive oil in my soup pot. When the squash was done, I added it to the soup pot. Next I added a 32 oz container of chicken bone broth, but you can use whatever broth or stock you want.
I added more warm, fall spices too! A little more ground cloves, cinnamon, allspice and a hint of ginger. I brought this to a light simmer and cook for about 10 minutes. You can certainly add the amount of spices to your preference, but I was going for all the warm spices that I could!
I turned off the heat and used my immersion blender to puree until completely smooth. You can transfer your soup to your blender, please use caution as blending hot liquid could blow out of the blender.
As soon as the soup is creamy and smooth, I added about one cup of coconut milk. But you can add light or heavy cream if you want, half and half would work too. I also adjusted the spices, at this point. I added more cloves and cinnamon. Let this heat completely and then serve.
*Please note, I added and adjusted the spices through the entire cooking process to achieve the warm, fall taste I was after. You can eliminate a spice if you don’t like it.
Creamy Roasted Butternut Squash with Warm Fall Spices
32 oz butternut squash, peeled and chopped into cubes
1 large apple, peeled and sliced
1 large carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
1tsp to 1 T of spices-ground cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg *adjust to your preference
1/8 tsp ground ginger
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil for coating the vegetables
1 small onion, diced
32 oz box of chicken bone broth (any broth or stock will work)
1 cup coconut milk (cream or half and half works too)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place all vegetables on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Toss lightly to coat. Bake for about 30 -35 minutes.
- Sautee onion in olive oil in a large soup pot, just before pulling the vegetable out of the oven.
- Add the roasted veggies to the soup pot with the onions and add the broth or stock. Add some spices, I suggest one teaspoon, or a sprinkling at a time (see note above). Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend soup until completely creamy.
- Add the coconut milk, and taste. Adjust spices as needed and preferred.