The most difficult part of making this dish was cutting the squash in half. Wow!
After getting that squash cut in half and removed the seeds and strings, I drizzled avocado oil over the meat of the squash. You can use olive oil if you want, avocado is my new favorite. Salt and pepper well.
You could use other spices here too. I definitely could have driven the Cajun spice home and dusted the uncooked squash with it but salt and pepper were just fine.
I placed each half meat side down on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and popped them in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
Just before I pulled the squash out of the oven I coated about a dozen large shrimp (deveined and shells and tail removed) in Cajun seasoning and sautéed them in a little butter and oil until done, only takes a few minutes.
Using a fork, scrape the inside of the roasted squash and pull the spaghetti strands out of the shell and put on a plate. After you have it all scraped out, place the spaghetti strands back into the shell and top with the cooked shrimp and drizzle some of the oil/butter. Top with your favorite cheese, I used grated parm.
You can put the noodles in a pasta dish but sometimes I like to put the noodles back into the shell and serve it that way.
I like to think this dish is healthy, wouldn’t you agree? Very little butter, avocado is a good oil, and squash instead of pasta. Yep, healthy!
Cajun Shrimp Spaghetti Squash
1 cooked and prepared spaghetti squash, with the noodle put back in the shells
1 dozen large shrimp, deveined with shells and tail removed
1 T Cajun seasonings, or to taste
Avocado oil and butter
Grated Parm cheese for topping
- Just before the spaghetti squash is finished roasting, make the shrimp.
- In a bowl toss the shrimp with the Cajun seasoning. Depending on how much spice you like, start wit one tablespoon and go from there.
- Place shrimp in a hot pan coated with oil and butter, sauté until cooked. Only a few minutes.
- Divide the shrimp over each shell, drizzling some of the oil/butter over the shrimp.
- Top with grated parm cheese and serve.
- You could also pop them back in the oven to melt the cheese if you want. Just keep an eye on it. Set as